Old September 29th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicagoyesterday?

I played with Stratux for a while and then passed it on to another
glider pilot.Â* I got it second hand from a glider pilot, as well.

The system I had consisted of a separate box, two antennae, a power
cable, and a display device.Â* I found that it provided great visibility
of ADS-B targets and weather overlayed on a map background.Â* It was
quite interesting to sit in my living room with the Stratux box in the
window sill and watch traffic in the pattern at Santa Fe, about 40 air
miles away.Â* I could follow them from arrival, down wind, base, and
about half way down final before they dropped below coverage of the
tower on Sandia Peak.Â* I was very excited to try it in flight, but...

The three cables running across the glare shield and Velcro mounted
antennae coming loose from their mounts (certificated aircraft so it was
a portable rather than permanent installation), were always a
distraction.Â* I never had a decent sunlight readable screen to display
it on.Â* I planned to run Avare on my Streak along with XCSoar and simply
switch between the two.Â* A split screen would have been better but the
Streak neither supports split screen nor the interface program required
to read the data from Stratux, therefore I ran it on a Nexus 7 which was
useless if the sun was out.

Bottom line:Â* If you have a sunlight readable screen and an OS which
runs the program, it's a lot of fun and provides good information. The
down side is figuring a way to have it mounted so that you can give it a
glance now and then without futzing with another display floating around
the cockpit.Â* It looks really nice when run on, say, Avare on a big
screen mounted to the yoke of a power plane.

One more thing - it is a power hog and I had a lot of trouble finding a
USB cable which supported the amperage requirement. Without the current,
the radios will not lock on.

On 9/29/2017 8:39 AM, wrote:
Has anyone played with stratux
http://stratux.me/ in a glider? Any idea if it will display on one of the open source flight computers, Tophat or XCsoar or?