Old July 22nd 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Silent Skies

Well, I complained (or commented) on the Silent Skies locally.
That changed for a while Saturday afternoon around 12:30. From
the thundering noises overhead, it was clear that the F22s were
out, probably chasing down some poor schmoe who didn't get the
word about the TFR. Man, when it comes to turning kerosene into
noise, those machines are great!

Last year, during one of the first Bedminster TFRs, I was out
driving not far away, and stopped to watch a Raptor stooging
around overhead, low and loud, and probably having a great
time doing it. Later I heard that some booby in a Stearman
had wandered in from the north, and got chased out. I've
also heard that there are many intercepts during each TFR.

I wonder how those military pilots feel about this duty?
In one way, it must be kind of embarrassing to be assigned
to protect a golf course. Then again, it's gotta be a
blast to fly around low over populated areas and chase
down Cessnas.

Jim Beckman