Old September 5th 17, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Perlan GLIDER ALTITUDE: 52004 ft

On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 17:55:01 -0700, drguyacheson wrote:

What a contrast in equipment from the Bishop wave project to now.
What Jim and Morgan have done is absolutely fantastic and the prospects
for the future are amazing.
But think about the original Bishop pilots and the planes they flew...no
pressure suits...very primative oxygen systems...no heating
systems...they were like naked men in the jungle compared to Jim and
Morgan.

I only saw the 'we're flying' message when they were at 30,000 on the way
down. One thing was obvious, though: they looked to have plenty of air
and oxygen onboard - enough for around 10 hours if that was a 5 hour
flight - but the batteries were a lot more depleted: 30% or thereabouts,
so I wonder what they can do to upgrade their capacity so the battery can
give a similar runtime to the air supply. Are they currently using Li-
ion, LiFePo or just SLA?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK