Old December 30th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
601XL Builder

Default How to hover

Wannafly wrote:
Hello, what are the control inputs required in a hover in an ideal
situation, what I am trying to figure out is what are you doing in a
no-wind situation to hover.

I have read several articles and books about helicopter flying and I am
still a little confused as to what you have to do, from what I gather
there is constant control inputs to fly a helicopter and that a
helicopter is hover with its left skid low but at the same time I have
hearing tokeep the helicopter in a level attitude, so how can that be.

From what I gather so far, when you hover, you add left pedal, increase

collective and power, then right cyclic; what I am wondering is what
cues do you look for to determine what control inputs is needed and
where are your eyes focused for all of this. I read an article in
Avweb where the pilot was going to a higher helicopter rating and he
asked a more experience pilot about the trouble he was having and the
pilot told him to look up and after consideration from the less
experience pilot that worked for him, so look up at what-- the rotor,
something at eye level or not to look at the ground.

What I am trying to determine here is how to hover a helicopter, what
control inputs do you have to make and in what order, I have heard that
once one control input is made you have to use all of the controls but
dont you have to do it in a certain order and where and what are your
eyes focused and what are the cues that you are looking for to
determine which control input is needed. I am trying to determine the
mechanics and the cues needed to hover.

Thanks in advance for your response.

If anybody thinks they can explain in writing how to properly hover is
full of crap.

Remember the old video of the guy spinning plates on the the ends of
multiple poles. That's what it is like to hover.