Old August 20th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:19:24 -0700, Darryl Ramm wrote:

BTW I don't want to get sidetracked here but the current USA rules have
not kept track with technology and as a result are strange in how they
do not for example strictly prohibit an ADS-B traffic receiver (since it
is not a "two-way communication device"), but by banning "two-way
communication devices" they do currently prohibit Flarm based devices.

I'm realising there is another passive collision warning system that we
use in the UK but I think may not be used as such in the USA - NOTAMS.

Whenever there's something happening here that raises a significant
collision risk such as a balloon festival, gliding competition or
microlite rally it will be NOTAMed, giving the base airfield, number of
participants and the area where significant numbers of participating
aircraft may be found. This at least warns other pilots to be more
vigilant in that area.

I've noticed that NOTAMs seem to be much less used in the USA than they
are here, so I'm wondering if your Regionals and national competitions
are routinely NOTAMed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK