Old September 14th 04, 04:18 PM
John Mullen

"Wolfhenson" wrote in message
om...
"John Mullen" wrote in message
..

Really? Ah, there goes one of my favourite aviation anecdotes.

John

Sir,
I am happy to inform You that Your favourite aviation anecdote is
still very much alive. This is how www.aeronautics.ru describes that
same steel in an article about Su-29 aerobatics plane
quote : "...fuselage has basic welded truss structure of VNS-2
high-strength stainless steel tubing;...
www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/su29-01.htm "end quote
And some more quotes :
"...high-strength stainless steel VNS-2 that corresponds in
composition to the steel 08Kh15N5D2T (08Cr15Ni5Cu2Ti). ...
http://www.kluweronline.com/article....S=495948&PDF=1 "

"The choice of the materials was also dependent on the performances -
up to 80% of the plane was made up of VNS-2, VNS-4 and VNS-5 stainless
steel, about 8% was ...
http://www.testpilot.ru/russia/mikoy...25/mig25_e.htm "

And for the record stainless steel is kind of steel that is resistant
to atmospheric corrosion(it will not rust that is) regardless of it's
composition and if chromium is the only element added then the
required content would be 12% or higher.

Thank you, that's very interesting and makes perfect sense.

John