Old August 10th 03, 10:33 PM
Ray Andraka

Yes they are related in that part of the approach has to be in IMC or under the
hood, and the approach needs to be flown to the MAP. It doesn't say how much of
the approach has to be in IMC. The how much simply is not quantified in those
two sentences. In my IFR training, I was told by three different instructors in
different schools, as well as by a two different PIC instructors during
recurrent training that as long as I was in IMC sometime after the FAF, I could
log the approach. Nevertheless, I cover myself by getting an IPC every 6
months. Insurance co. likes it, and I get the benefit of a trained observer to
drill me on areas I might gotten rusty and to point out any bad habits I might
have developed.

Matthew Waugh wrote:

You don't believe the 2 sentences are related? One says the instrument
approach must be actual or simulated and the other says it must be flown to
the MAP? I guess I don't get your reasoning, but it wouldn't be the first
time I've been confused.

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
But it doesn't say that it has to be flown *TO* the MAP in IMC or

simulated IMC.

Matthew Waugh wrote:

It says "actual or simulated" conditions - visual is neither.

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI
http://home.nc.rr.com/mwaugh/learn2fly/index.htm

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
This says that the approach procedure must be followed to the MAP, it

does
not
say anything about the conditions, since you can follow the approach
procedure
in visual as well as instrument conditions. I find it easier just to
schedule
an IPC every 6 months, that way I get an instructor checking me for

any
bad
habits I might be picking up, and I get to practice stuff I might not

do
on my
own. The instructor I fly with puts me partial panel most of the

flight,
for
example.

Barry wrote:

While the FAA article you quote is anecdotal, here is some

precedent-
please
read the following FAA Chief
Counsel Opinion about approaches for Instrument Currency. This FAA
Chief
Counsel Opinion is the only official opinion I have found on
the issue. Keep in mind that a chief counsel opinion is legally

binding
as
to how the agancy will enforce the issue. I welcome any additional
contrary
leads anyone may provide in that regard.

"January 28, 1992
(no name given)
For currency purposes, an instrument approach under Section
61.57(e)(1)(i)
may be flown in either actual or simulated IFR conditions. Further,
unless
the instrument approach procedure must be abandoned for safety

reasons,
we
believe the pilot must follow the instrument approach procedure to
minimum
descent altitude or decision height.

Donald P. Byrne
Assistant Chief Counsel"
(Source: Summit Aviation CD Chief Counsel Opinions section)

Keep in mind that a Chief Counsel Opinion is only that: an opinion.

It
is
not a law. You are free to argue with the FAA and an NTSB judge

about
it.
However, absent specific information in an FAR or information in the
Preamble to the FAR, in an enforcement proceeding against a pilot

whose
IFR
currency is in question, the NTSB judge would look to a Chief

Counsel
Opinion to determine how the FAA wished to enforce what constitutes

"useable" approach for currency
purposes, and follow that opinion. Rarely does an NTSB judge rule
contrary
to an FAA Chief Counsel Opinion.

I neither agree with it nor like it, but it is the ONLY official

legal
opinion out there on this issue. Therefore, I'm mindful of its
existence
when doing my approaches for currency purposes..
Tailwinds.

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
This is the most definitive guidance that I have seen. Although

not
regulatory, it is apparently FAA policy or the Feds wouldn't have
printed it. Don't slam me, I'm only the messenger.....

FAAviation News , July-Aug 1990.

"Once you have been cleared for and have initiated an approach in

IMC,
you may log that approach for instrument currency, regardless of

the
altitude at which you break out of the clouds"

The July-August 1990 issue of FAAviation News, in response to a

reader
inquiry, said:

"The wording of our reply was not clear. Once you have been

cleared
for and have initiated an instrument approach in IMC, you may

log
that
approach regardless of the altitude at which you break out of

the
clouds. When doing a simulated IFR approach you should fly the
prescribed instrument approach procedure to DH or MDA to

maximize
the
training benefit."

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:03:14 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

1. Vectored for the VOR 27 at Oshkosh in pouring rain, broke out

and
saw
the runway after I got established but before I started my

descent,
cancelled IFR to help the guy behind me, did a visual descent and
landed
on the green dot.

2. Vectored for the ILS 24(?) at Muskegeon, descended on the

glide
slope,
saw the runway almost as soon as I started descending, but did

the
ILS on
the gauges all the way down for practice (not wearing foggles).

3. Vectored for the ILS 22 at Rochester, was in the soup at 2500

feet
at
the top of the glideslope, broke out on the glide slope just

above
traffic
pattern altitude (1400), asked for and got right traffic to

runway
25.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.