Old March 16th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Beede

Default How do I fly this approach?

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Was this correct? I'm confused by the references to the NDB and the pointers
towards the east and the procedure turn. Do I have multiple options for this
approach? Was the way I flew it one of them? Or what?

There are three initial approach fixes--the two on the DME arcs
and the NDB. The procedure turn is for the NDB used as the initial
approach fix. The idea is it's close enough to the airport that
you get established outbound on the localizer.

It sounds like, other than using the autopilot (which doesn't
really give you any experience tracking the localizer) you
flew one of the published approaches.

Depending on local radar coverage, you might get vectored to
the localizer, in which case you don't worry about the initial
approach fix.

I'm not current, and I'm not an instructor, so like the other
poster said, don't take this advice if you're actually going
to FLY the approach....

Mike Beede