Old January 5th 18, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Debunking Glider Spoiler Turns Causing Spin Thinking

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 1:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I think the issue was made murky by stipulations. Any aircraft IN A TURN that stalls is prone to spin - much more so if it is uncoordinated. The turn to base or final is the last place you want this to happen. Not adding flaps while turning was part of my pilot training in the 70's. The combination of turning (higher G loading) increases stall speed, and if you add drag while doing it, you can inadvertently loose too much airspeed for the bank angle, add to this the possibility of an uncoordinated turn. To error is human, to error close to the ground offers the answer to one of mankind's greatest debates; what happens to your soul when you die!

In the USA a pilot must consistently recover from a stall with less than 50ft altitude loss in order to get a license. Do we do stalls at 150ft? Heck no; we do them at 2000ft. We know a mistake close to the ground will kill us. The same is true for screwing with the aircraft while it is in a turn.

Could you please provide the reference from which you got the 50 foot standard.
UH