Old November 27th 03, 12:38 AM
BTIZ

they can still see my composite fiberglass glider with "skin paint", they
are required to watch for "primary returns" below FL180. Some aircraft are
still exempt from carrying transponders.. like balloons, gliders and J-3
cubs..

BT

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Big John wrote:

Just some ramblings on stealth.

When the Air Defense Command was in high gear with Radars all over the
States and over lapping coverage, we used 'skin paint' (vs beacon/IFF
or transponder) to located and track aircraft (we didn't think the
Russians would come in squawking for us). The FAA always used
beacon/transponder to make a large blip on their scope for traffic
control purposes.

With that background, what does FAA use today? If they do not use
'skin paint' why can't the 'glass' birds with a wooden prop, turn off
their transponder and fly through all the restricted areas unseen?

I'm not up to speed on current traffic control radar and if they both
'skin paint' and look at transponder returns?.

Anyone want to comment on this thread and expand?

Big John

There is still a fairly large RCS, even on a glass bird -- engine,
pilot, electronics, wiring, antennae, landing gear, etc. It would take a
lot of expertise to get the RCS down to stealth levels.