Old March 25th 05, 12:26 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 3/24/05 8:24 AM, in article
1111674154.81566ae09bb49e973412b142c168a8e4@terane ws, "Phormer Phighter
Phlyer" wrote:

mark johnston wrote:
When refueling using the probe and drogue system, is it commonplace to have
fuel leakage from the drogue? At my day job, we have a foreign customer
asking about the resistance of an engine to fuel ingestion during refueling.
Apparently it is something of a problem for them, but they have not been
able to give us any specifics.

I thought someone here may have some real world experience they could share.
Do you get a brief mist of fuel when you disconnect? ... or can you
experience an continual "dribble" down the probe during the transfer? Any
info or war stories would be helpful.

Regards,

Mark Johnston

May get a wee bit when you pull out but no leakage when refueling.

I disagree.

About 20% of the time (anecdotally) I've seen leakage from USAF tankers
(KC-135, KC-10 whether on the MIPR, WOPR, or iron maiden) during refueling.
My guess would be due to higher pressure. The puff during back out happens
nearly all the time though on Navy or USAF tankers.

It is VERY uncommon for that leakage to become a problem. Misting fuel will
smudge the canopy a bit though.

There was a Tomcat circa 1997 from VF-211, however, that during a severe
leak from the drogue ended up ingesting quite a bit of fuel down one motor
and landing at NAS Fort Worth. That jet's still at NAS FW, by the way.

--Woody