Old November 10th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

Default GPSMAP 396 won't acquire sats

"Steve - KDMW" wrote

It's the internal (non-user replaceable) battery. I've had several
friends who have had the same problem. They were both surprised at
Garmin's cluelessness over the problem and had a hard time convincing
them to change the battery. But that's exactly what it is. The unit is
losing it's internal memory because of the battery and having to re-
initialize itself which takes the 30-40 minutes you are describing.

Doh! I thought so!

NOTHING is non user replaceable, if the user is determined enough, and has
mad enough "engineering" skills!

I'll bet that it would not even be that hard. I would do it in a heartbeat,
if it were mine.
--
Jim in NC