Old March 4th 14, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Stall/spin and ground reference maneuvers

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:18:47 AM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
Who looks down the wing at the ground when they turn? In pattern turns I'm looking straight over the glare shield, focused on airspeed (pitch), yaw string, and bank angle.

-John, Q3

On Monday, March 3, 2014 10:54:39 PM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

The argument which says one should avoid low turns ignores the fact that every glider flight ends with at least one turn at or below 300' AGL. Unless a pilot is well trained for low turns this is a recipe for a stall/spin accident. I respectively suggest a better alternative is to find a CFI willing to provide GRM training in a touring motorglider or slow LSA and get really good at it.

The insidious part is what you perceive in your peripheral vision unconsciously. During a committed "this is all I am doing" landing this may not be such a huge factor, but when trying to decide whether to try an thermal away after being effectively on downwind or base it is a much bigger effect.