Old May 28th 18, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Kestrel 19 info wanted.

"modified to have a double-panel spoiler, but it wasn't approved for general use and apparently didn't do much except make more noise"

Is more airbrake really needed on a Kestrel? I've never had a chance to fly one but seriously considered buying one several years ago and the pilots I talked to who had flown them seemed to think the brakes were fine and the landing flap setting made it even easier to do a steep approach - and then if you still needed more you could deploy the chute. Everyone who I talked to loved the ship.

One peculiarity of the Slingsby Kestrel, at least as certified in Canada, that I remember from that research is that a parachute, specifically a "back type parachute" is listed on the TCDS as required equipment. I've never seen that on any other glider. The German ships all seem to include a back type parachute or a back cushion of a specified thickness as required equipment but the Slingsby TCDS just flat out says you've got to carry a parachute.. I wonder if it was a typo that no one caught back in the early 70's when they were certifying it in Canada.