Old July 26th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

Right on, Mark.

As a former jet jockey, myself, I prefer simplicity and fewer switches.Â*
And, whereas one big battery would be nice (forgetting single point
failures), space quickly becomes an issue.Â* It's much easier to locate
two or more smaller batteries around the ship than finding a place for a
big one.Â* One of my friends removed the nose ballast from his glider and
replaced it with an SLA battery.Â* A much better use of lead, don'tcha think?

....And if you want more switches, go to an air museum and take a look in
the cockpit of a MiG-21
https://www.google.com/search?q=mig-21+cockpit&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS697US697&source=lnms&tb m=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjsanSoL3cAhUF-6wKHfHSA_EQ_AUICigB&biw=1365&bih=662#imgrc=kTdKHIU LN9Ro9M:...

On 7/25/2018 8:55 PM, wrote:
There's a lot to be said for reducing component count.

Yes, there is a definite charm to single point-of-failure systems.

But charm don't count when the failure occurs and you are out of backups and ideas.

--
Dan, 5J