Old December 5th 15, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CFI vs FBO owner?

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 2:18:17 AM UTC-5, Teacher wrote:
Would any other CFI accept this potential interaction in their employment relationship? I am the one who signs the student's book.
Anyone else come up against this?

Would you care to provide any reply or reference here that I can later share to this fellow?

Teacher

Thank you all for your considerate replies.

Yes, my students can generally handle 'extra' radio calls, and typically scan well for traffic. Thanks. I have never had a designee or inspector note my applicants as deficient in scanning.

What I was more interested in was the reaction of other CFIs to the concept that someone who hadn't flown with their student felt they had more ability to interpret what any particular student could 'handle' ....
and did they view this as an appropriate topic for public rebuke
by an employer?
Had anyone ever observed this on any occasion, or how would they react if they were confronted this way?

Thank you.

Teacher

While your employer was in the wrong, and his behavior was
untenable, the question is, "Was this just a one-time egocentric
brain-fart, or will this continue to be a pattern of behavior?"

It would be a major inconvenience for you to have to change jobs.
If you stay you have only a few tactics with which to deal with
him. #1- Confronting him and telling him he's out of line won't
work, due to the ego/employee dynamic. However you might modify
his behavior by "attrition", that is, wear him down over a period
of time by politely "asking" him questions about his bossy
decisions, wherein the obvious answers will always reveal that
he's wrong. This should always be done with a smile. Remember,
you're pointing out that he's an idiot but maneuvering him into
being the one to say it. Expect multiple applications before
results.

When this starts to work, then back off and concentrate on
restoring an actual friendly relationship. Quite possibly you
can become friends. If it doesn't work, then he's unreasonable
and must be having problems with other folks too. Usually guys
like that get canned.

---