Old October 21st 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default VFR into IMC and almost into terrain - on video

Ross wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

Was that laughing at the end? I would not be laughing. How stupid.

Not stupid - reading through the comments posted below the video, you'd
find this exchange:

"I trust the laughing at the end was showing joy in being alive, rather
than thinking the whole thing was a merry jape?"

"You'd be exactly right in that assumption. We knew full well just how
fortunate we were to be alive. What you hear is nervous laughter because we
weren't sure how to deal with it otherwise."

and:

"For days afterwards I wasn't right.. I just couldn't comprehend how we
didn't die. It was like I was listening to myself talking to people in
disbelief that I was actually alive. In the raw footage, after it shows my
friend's reaction he turns the camera on his lap sideways and it shows me
curling up and bracing for impact. I haven't lost trust in pilots but there
is no chance of me flying in a small plane unless weather conditions are
perfect and the pilot knows how to not rely fully on gps."