Old October 7th 05, 04:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Tscottme,

I couldn't agree more. In fact, controllers can declare the emergency
status for a pilot if they feel the situation warrants it.

I was once going to Albuquerque and had a rough running engine. We
requested a straight in from very far out (outside the control zone)
since we could have glided in from there and didn't want to make any
detours. We were granted that, a Boeing 737 had to be sent into a short
hold because of us and we were asked if we needed assistance getting
off the runway. I'm sure the tower treated this as an emergency. No
paperwork or even any questioning came off it. Why didn't we declare?
We were always in gliding range of the airport and were two experienced
glider pilots on board, so we didn't feel the need.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)