Old October 5th 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross Briegleb

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

At 11:24 05 October 2015, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Chapter 3 of the classic American Soaring Handbook has about 23 pages on
Au=
to Tow with several illustrations including a homebuilt car tow release
and=
a technical discussion of the process. 3,500' of runway is the minimum
ru=
nway length suggested so the sailplane can (barely) make a 360 degree
circl=
e to land. Straight-line auto tow and auto tow with pulley are discussed
i=
n detail. =20

As simple as it appears, auto tow should be carefully researched. Finding
a=
sailplane pilot who has supervised auto tow is essential. A
ground-launch=
endorsement from an authorized CFI per FAR 61.31(j) is required for the
sa=
ilplane pilot unless "grandfathered" however proficiency is essential for
b=
oth the pilot and the driver. An observer in the auto is important for
saf=
ety. Density altitude will affect the power of the auto motor and the
spee=
d required for the sailplane to launch.

One possible issue with auto tow on airports with airplane traffic is

that
=
the cable cannot be reeled in unless a winch system is mounted on the

back
=
of a pick-up truck. Some of the hang glider folks have developed this
syst=
em.=20

Read the article in the May-June 1955 SOARING magazine, "The Elimination
of=
Guess-Work in Auto Towing" by Otto Zauner and Art Heavener. =20

The American Soaring Handbook was a binder of 10 chapters on essential
aspe=
cts that a SSA club needed to know about maintenance, auto, winch and
aerot=
ow launching, instruments and much more. Long out of print this handy
6"x9=
" blue binder might be found on dusty bookshelves in gliderport

clubhouses
=
around the USA. Often listed on E-bay and internet book searches such as
A=
lbris, this valuable collection of knowledge written by some of the
legends=
of soaring is essential reading. About $25 if all of the 10 chapters

are
=
included in the binder.

For an entertaining (but not instructional) video of auto tow watch the
"Re=
union" episode of the '50's Sci-Fi TV show, "One Step Beyond".
Yep, my dad was the glider pilot and I was the tow car driver . I was

fifteen then. Ross

Ross Briegleb