Old April 8th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

I have in the past seen something like this done successfully - but t is rare. (getting a bunch of individuals to all do something)

I belive what it would take to be done right - is the SSA do a fundraiser to purchase 60 units (whatever works) and then supply them to the contests with the contest making turning them on a requirement.

The unit maker may see it as a win - maybe if people tried thier product they would discover the value.
The contest would win by getting people to watch and maybe even get sponsorship opportunities.
the family and friends would win by getting to see their pilot fly.

if left up to the individuals - contest tracking will always suck and be missing most gliders, except at high end contests like the worlds or maybe the Grand Prix races.

I think tracking is awesome/critical - and can't understand why anyone flying XC doesn't desire a good track with all the data - even outside contest tasks. how we all go off into the abyss with no one keeping trak fo where we are, just does not make sense to anyone outside the Soaring community - and that is where new pilots come from

It was understandable before tracking was possible - now it borders on negligent - we don't use cameras any more to prove where we went - it is time to embrace some new stuff - you can couch it in safety if that makes you feel better. But getting tracking done right is importnat to our sport.

My $.02

WH