Old March 26th 04, 09:46 AM
Bert Willing

Nonsense. Exceed the structural g-load limit and you fly without wings.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Don Johnstone" a écrit dans le
message de ...
OK the answer to this one is very simple, VNE stands
for 'Velocity never exceed' the never is not optional.
Pulling the airbrakes or pulling back hard on the stick
may cause structural damage to the glider, however
this structural damage is not likely to be catastrophic.
Exceeding VNE may induce aerodynamic flutter, this
can and almost certainly will cause catastrophic failure
of the airframe. Put simply try and avoid both but
if the choice is exceed the placarded G loading or
VNE the G loading is the only choice. The potential
for catastophic failure is much much greater if VNE
is exceeded, exceeding VNE is therefore not an option.

I have no doubt there will now be lots of postings
from people who say they have exceeded VNE and got
away with it. Even idiots can be lucky sometimes.

At 11:30 25 March 2004, Bert Willing wrote:
If you are already very fast and pull the airbrakes,
you have to be very
careful during the pull up because the wing won't stand
the same g-load as
without airbrakes.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 'TW'

'Erik Braun' a écrit dans le message de
K.P. Termaat wrote:
Yesterday evening I talked with a friend about avoiding
excessive speed

when
recovering from a spin in a modern low drag glider
with the somewhat

larger
span.
He came up with the idea of pulling the airbrakes
when still recovering

from
the rotating mode. I am not sure this can be done
without disturbing the
recovering action or without hurting the glider.
Any comment will appreciated.

Karel, NL

Pulling the airbrakes is what most handbooks say on
this subject. But if
you're already very fast I'd do this carefully.