Old February 6th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default SunTiger Sunglassas

In the 30 some years, I can't say polarization has hurt in identifying other aircraft. As soon as you tilt your head vs. horizontal, wing glints show up.
Being able to tilt your head side to side to see "haze balls/domes" develop helps.

Sorta comes down to pilot preference, I prefer polarized.
;-)

BTW, the closest "surprise encounter" with another aircraft was in a gaggle when someone was waaaayyyyyy more aggressive than I in a thermal and came over the top of me.
How close? I could tell it was cloth tape on the gear door hinge, not plastic.
Yes, I had a chat with the pilot and the CD later.
Polarized glasses would not make/break that encounter.