Old August 4th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Scoring when abandoning a contest turnpoint

On Monday, 3 August 2020 15:38:45 UTC-6, wrote:
Hey all. I somehow got the idea that there was strategy involved to maximize score on contest flights where one decides not to continue to a turnpoint. But I don't see anything in the rules other than incomplete tasks essentially being scored as a landout.

Am I missing something?

Good to make it home regardless!

For US rules there are two things you can/should consider

First

10.4.3.3 If the closest fix is outside the turnpoint radius, a miss distance shall be calculated: it is the distance from the closest fix
to the turnpoint, minus the turnpoint radius. If the miss distance is not greater than 1 mile, turnpoint control is valid but a penalty
applies (¶ 12.1.3.1) ; if greater than 1 mile, there is no valid control.

12.1.3.1 Missed turnpoint (¶ 10.4.3.3): penalty = 100 * (miss distance)

Second

10.9.3 Airfield landing bonus
10.9.3.1 A pilot with an incomplete task who lands at a designated airfield can receive a score bonus for such a landing.
10.9.3.2 The landing must take place at a field designated by the CD as eligible for such a bonus. Eligible fields shall be
designated prior to the start of the competition. Unless otherwise announced, all airfields depicted on a current Sectional chart
shall be considered eligible. The home airfield is always eligible.