Old February 14th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Static line vs. hand deploy

My rigger (Robert Marshall) had a bunch of good reasons and examples. He did say if you would need a static line that it should be greater than wingspan. He also had a horrific example of what could happen.
I for one looked at static lines and decided I would rather give fate a chance without getting screwed by a static line in an effort of greater safety.
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 1:06:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Gents
After Dave Nadlers deployment where he got knocked out [ that may explain a few things BTW ] and he deployed about 1 sec above the ground, I'm seriously considering a static line added to my 'chute.
Any good reasons not too?
I realize you have to remember to hook it up and disconnect it after flight, and if you bailed under a very strong Cu Nim, but other than that??
Nick