Old February 15th 21, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Shelton[_2_]

Default Static line vs. hand deploy

Maybe the best solution would be a static line with a quick-release knob, allowing you to optionally disconnect it on the way out. In any low altitude scenario, a static line is probably better, because it will deploy the canopy much faster than a pilot chute. If you had to bail out at high altitude, then you should have time to disconnect the static line if you determined that to be the best option. The obvious downside is that the bail-out decision would be a bit more complicated. I guess the ultimate solution is BRS.

In any event, I recommend doing a few AFF jumps. Personally, I feel that skydiving has made me less hessitant to bail out of my sailplane. I'm more likely to bail out if I need to, and I'll probably make that decision a little quicker. Plus... AFF training was fun!