Old September 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Juan Jimenez

"PA34 F-GFTF" wrote in
:

Hello,

We plan to overhaul the panel of our good old PA34 Seneca.
Unfortunately, the 2 workshops from whom we requested a quote disagree
: - one says the GNS530 we're buying can work with one of the 2
VOR/ILS indicators currently in the plane (these are "KI something",
one connected to a KX165 and the other to a KX175B).
- the other mechanics asserts we have to buy the specific VOR/ILS
indicator from Garmin (GI 106A).

The additionnal cost is not that big (still a little more than 1K$ on
a total 30K overhaul), but I feel one of the 2 has to be wrong, and
I'd rather give this work to a competent guy.

Anybody faced this problem before when installing a GNS430 or 530 ? Is
the GI106A compulsory to function properly with it ?

Thx

If you requested an IFR-certified installation of the 530, they may be
telling you to use 106's because of the requirement to have the mode
annunciators. You could use your existing KI indicators but you would then
have to install a separate annunciator module. Garmin went well out of its
way to ensure that their units work with most cdi's on GA aircraft.