Old June 24th 04, 04:48 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,
"Kevin Brooks" wrote:

One last time, where are those specific dimensions you keep claiming to
have, but can never produce (while going out of your way to attack the

only
rough estimates so far concocted)?

I gave up on trying to argue anything like numbers with you when you
went off into the insults, using your "estimates" that were pretty much
just guesswork tailored to your point of view. The only thing you're
interested in is in proving that *nobody* can blow up a big stationary
concrete thing with bombs or explosives.

But since you're interested in numbers, the *maximum* thickness of the
base of the 3GD is under a hundred meters (less than your *average* base
guess), and the slope, as I've described, does not continue all the way
to the top, but is about a hundred feet thick about halfway up (from the
photos that are all over the Web, but which you don't seem to be
interested in looking at, relying on your guesswork on how you think the
dam *should* be constructed).

Source please? That does not compute with the photos I have seen of the
structure under construction, which show a typical gravity dam structure
with a footprint that appears to excced the one-half height value by some
degree.

Your criticisms of some of the scenarios I've suggested mostly rely on
"nobody could or would do that," while not noticing that people *have*
done similar unusual attacks over the course of the last hundred years.
Or the last *year*, for that matter.

My criticism of your scenarios is based upon the utter stupidity they
exhibit--a freaking *shaped charge* that can penetrate TG??! You have got to
be smoking some wild weed...

And those similar attacks you refer to seem to have been directed against
arch dam structures--do you know the difference between that design and a
gravity structure? What is the difference in the lao9d paths between the
two? And BTW, where did you get *your* civil engineering degree?

Even doing without the "exotic" scenarios, a flight of F-16s could make
a one-way run into China carrying up to two 2,000 pound bombs each, and
even the standard-issue JDAMs would crack the 3GD if you hit in about
the same spot a dozen times with one ton bombs. The loss of a
half-dozen F-16s would inconvenience the Taiwanese, while hitting the
3GD with even a moderately effective attack would *cripple* China.

Being as you can't seem to grasp the difference between an arch and gravity
structure, have postulated that maybe a *really* big shaped charge could do
the trick (howl!), and *still* have not provided any reputable exact figures
for the dam's dimensions, despite repeated pleas for you to do so, I can
conclude that you are utterly and completely clueless as to what is involved
here; that you now think that the ROCAF would be willing to decimate its
fighter force (12 delivery aircraft plus how many support aircraft to ensure
they get there?) in a wild attempt to place twelve successive hits against
the same precise aimpoint, just provides further evidence that you have lost
all touch with reality in terms of this scenario. And what happened to those
other theories of your's--the uberCommandos toting a twelve or more odd tons
of demo in and placing it 1400 miles upstream, or the massive shaped charge
(snort!)?

Chad, you need to sit back and take a few deep breaths and try to regain
contact with reality--you have lost the bubble here.

Brooks

cirby at cfl.rr.com