Old April 3rd 05, 06:50 PM

Mark Morissette wrote:
Next thing I knew, the nose was pointed towards the ground... I'm

not sure
of our altitude since it's been a few years since it happened, but I
seriously doubt that it was more than 2000 ft MSL (which basically

equals
AGL in Houston)... Coming out of it was no big deal in the S2B with

plenty
of room to spare... The instructor even had time to ask me if I knew

what I
had done and how I was going to recover from it...

My point wasn't that it would be impossible to recover safely at the
altitude the other poster quoted, it was that for "Training purposes"
it seemed really low.

Mark
I've mentioned this before here spins and them saving my tender butt
a couple times while finding myself trapped in foggy conditions while
crop spraying in Pawnees. I've spun down twice in small holes while I
had ground contact and recovered at low altitude (2-300'agl). Once was
in Louisiana and the other was in Mozambique. I agree that 3000agl is a
good training entry altitude for spins and that is ample in my opinion.
BTW, I have Canada commercial #C408095 and FAA ATP #1550330
Best Regards
Ol S&B (some say Ol SOB)

Yes, the whole point behind the spin training in my mind is that if

it
ever happens while your low and slow (most probable situation, such

as
base/final turn) that the recovery could be made before you made a
smoking hole in the ground.

Personally, when I *know* I'm going to be intentionally entering a
spin, I'd prefer to have a few thousand feet between me and the
ground. For that matter, it's written into the CAR's that recovery

is
made at least 2000'AGL...Or perhaps 2500AGL, I forget exactly..I
should look it up... It's been a while since I completed the spin
training, and it's one of those numbers thats slipped my mind since.