Old July 14th 03, 02:24 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Default recovery from inverted IMC (a propos of "backup gyros" thread)

Because I think this is a story worth hearing, I'm posting
this link here as well as in the original thread, where
people who've stopped reading might miss it.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z27312245

If you don't like makeashorterlink, go to groups.google.com
and search rec.aviation.student in 1999 for "all the words"
pet grumman

This happened in Australia in the mid to late '90s -- '96
to '98, somewhere about there. It was originally posted
on the Grumman Gang, and reposted to USENET with the author's
written permission.

I think it is well worth reading, especially for those who
seem to feel the tach and the T/C are superfluous.

The bottom line is: there are circumstances one might plausibly
encounter where the only reliable instruments in the cockpit
may be the tachometer, the turn coordinator, and the pilot's
hearing.

One might wish to consider this when determining whether to
move the tach and TC outside the primary scan.

Cheers,
Sydney