Old August 6th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Gattman[_2_]

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

"James Sleeman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 4:52 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

It's a nice idea, but realisitically there are too many problems, not
the least of which is battery size, weight, cost and safety. I don't
really see batteries as a viable in the near future (I struggle to see
them as viable in the distant future either).

It depends on the demand. During the worldwide battlebots craze a few years
ago there were marked technological improvements in battery technology in
the course of about four years. I imagine hybrid vehicles are really going
to push the state of the tech. It might not be viable yet, but if there's
sufficient motivation and investment it could really happen.

That would rock. Even if the cost is the same, the reduction in sound would
be wonderful. You'd want a reserve battery for the purpose of getting you
home when your mains began to taper off, though.

-c