Old September 6th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Default Emergency Descents with ATC COMS - Video

a wrote

I don't have the documentation handy and my memory may be in error,
but I think the Mooney's limits when used in the general utility
category are 30 degrees pitch 60 degrees bank. ˙Since it's used mainly
for XC, mostly under IFR, there's no reason to ever come close to
those limits. I wondered if the Sundowner certification was markedly
different.-

FAR 23.3

(b) The utility category is limited to airplanes that have a seating
configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum
certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for
limited acrobatic operation. Airplanes certificated in the utility
category may be used in any of the operations covered under paragraph
(a) of this section and in limited acrobatic operations. Limited
acrobatic operation includes:

(1) Spins (if approved for the particular type of airplane); and

(2) Lazy eights, chandelles, and steep turns, or similar maneuvers, in
which the angle of bank is more than 60 degrees but not more than 90
degrees.

For those of us who fly utility certified airplanes with
specific pitch and bank limitations it seems or seemed foolhardy.

I would be interested in knowing which "Utility Category" Mooney
that you fly that has specific pitch and bank limits less than those
listed in 23.3.

Bob Moore