Old May 19th 14, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting

Default How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:22:01 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 19 May 2014 07:38:02 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2014 14:00:46 +0000 (UTC), Ann Marie Brest
wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2014 05:46:19 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Just because someone writing a brief article doesn't specifically
mention something, doesn't constitute science.

Science isn't what you are I guess.
Science is what can be tested & proven.

I'd be glad if you can find a tested/proven article on airplane fires
which says that smoke particles, in and of themselves, constitute a
life-threatening danger in the time it takes to exit a burning airplane.

We found more than a half dozen sources, including scientific papers,
none of which said that the smoke particles were the immediate danger in
cabin fires - nor did we find anything that said a wet cloth filters them
out.

If we are to assume smoke particles are a life-threatening danger, we'd
have to find at least one scientific article that said that the
particulate matter itself could kill us in the time of a cabin fire.

If I read an article that said that, I wouldn't have to *assume*
anything. Relying on a seemingly competently-written article is not
assuming.

OTOH, if we are going to *assume* smoke particles are a life-threatening
danger, we don't need to read anything. We've already assumed it.

Bingo! You made two good points here.

Even then, we'd have to know that a wet towel would filter out those
particles.