Old October 16th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default ASW-19 Maximum Weight

At 21:52 15 October 2018, Paul Agnew wrote:
Has the glider had any repairs that upped the empty weight? My

ASW19 can
take up to 258# pilot and chute, with 10#s of weight in the tail.

The ASW19 is convertible to the 19B with some mods; brake moved

to spoiler
handle, friction trim, and Tost release support bolts, if my memory

serves
correctly.

Paul A.
Jupiter, Fl

I had a -19 for about 5 years from 1978-1983. I was able to convert
it to the B model as Paul mentions and also installed the factory 2 tier
dive brakes. Paul is correct that if you modify it to a B, you will get a
higher max allowable gross weight. It goes from 408 Kg to 454 Kg,
or 898 Lbs to 999 Lbs. See the Schleicher ASW-19 page:
https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/...gzeuge/asw-19-
asw-19-b/
If you buy this glider, I suggest you convert it to the B version and
add the 2 tier dive brakes if it doesn't have them as well. The
Germans also have an instrument panel / canopy mod which attaches
the panel to the lift up canopy to make cockpit entry and exit easier.

RO