Old December 11th 18, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 8:08:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
No doubt the SSA Rules Committee has their hands full regarding the integration of FAI practices into US contest rules and scoring. Very tough job; thanks Andy, Bif, Hank, David, Rich, and John for your service to the SSA. And thank you Guy Byars for all your pro bono software work to provide Winscore.

Understood, the Rules Committee is acting on feedback from the results of the recent SSA’s pilot opinion poll. However, the intent of integrating FAI practices is not clear. I would appreciate the Rules Committee clarifying whether its prime objective is to increase the participation of US competition – OR – is the prime objective to better prepare Team USA for future international competition? Certainly, you would agree these are two distinctly different issues requiring different solutions.

UH- My personal philosophy is to put maximum emphasis on safety(of course #1), followed by doing the things that maximize participation, from the entry level to the top level. This understandably can be in conflict with actions that mat favor US Team selection and performance at the WGC.
The most recent pilot poll results do not, in my view, agree with my philosophy.
The task of the RC is to seek and implement the best trade off between two conflicting objectives. I know that there is a sincere effort on the part of the RC to accomplish this objective.
Speaking for myself.
UH