Old April 25th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Terrain on iPAQ glide computers

Jim,

I do *not* fly with terrain on, regardless of which software I'm
running on my hx4705.

I do use it on the ground for getting a feel of the terrain over the
task area and researching potential routes, but once in the air, all I
need to do is look outside.

Btw for several reasons I stopped using XCSoar after a few flights
with it early last year. I flew with 2 PDAs in the V2C, one running
GNII (fed by the 302) and the other WinPilot PRO (fed by the LX5000).
I only have one PDA in the new WWII, and because of the WinPilot
crashes I was experiencing in 2007, this year I switched to SeeYou
Mobile. (If GNII used terrain elevation data, that would have been my
first choice.)

But SeeYou Mobile crashed in two my four contest flights so far this
year, and both times failed to restart with the correct QNH (even
after giving it the correct pressure altitude), so I have switched
back to WP Pro and will use that until my wallet has recovered enough
to replace the PDA with a ClearNav.

(For the record, I'm not yet convinced that WinPilot or SeeYou Mobile
are to blame for the crashes -- I am suspicious of the display drivers
in the hx4705.)

~ted/2NO