Old May 12th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Cameron

Default Becker Transponder E10 error message

Darryl, it's a Becker ATC4401, blade antenna, on the bottom of a DG400(guessing it has some carbon fiber in fuselage). The previous owner reported seeing the E10 a couple of times over three years, he'd recycle the transponder, E10 went away. I see the E10 both on the ground and in the air. Recycling the unit has worked for maybe up to 3 or 4 minutes, than E10 pops back up. The ground plane looks like a laminated square of tin foil, maybe a foot square. The backing plate for the blade antenna looks like it has a ground wire attached under the foil to one of the backing plate screws. The reason I'm very reluctant in sending the unit to Becker in FL for testing & repair is due to previous posts where this has been relatively ineffective. I agree with your comment regarding the Trig Tt22, it looks to be the only one right now worth buying due to the ADS-B out capability. Before I go that route I thought I'd exhaust all reasonable efforts to get the Becker back working.

Thanks for your input!
Steve Cameron