Old January 10th 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Start he https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

The biggies are that the aircraft must be:Â* U.S.-registered, fixed-wing,
single-engine piston aircraft first registered before January 1, 2016.

My Stemme is Type Certificated but registered in the US in March of
2016.Â* I queried the FAA about that, telling them that it was first
registered in Mexico in 2004.Â* They came back with a legal opinion that
it met the requirements.Â* I was going to install ADS-B anyway for the
increased situational awareness that it gives, but it was nice to get
the rebate.

Starting with the link above, everything you need to know and accomplish
is laid out in step-by-step fashion.Â* This is actually pretty amazing
for a government program!

For my first test flight, I was in mountain wave at 18,000' MSL and in
contact with ABQ Approach Control and flew for about 1.5 hours. During
that time, there was a GPS drop out due to interference testing and,
because of a 0.08% loss of signal, the test failed.

A couple of days later, I did a simple flight with about 0.6 hours in
ADS-B airspace and landed before any GPS testing could get in the way.Â*
We have a lot of that testing going on in my location... Filing a test
report is simply a matter of going to the proper website and filling out
the request form.Â* Be aware that there is a different site to use if
you're requesting a rebate but a link to that site is given when you
reserve your rebate.

Hope that helps.Â* There's nothing that I could see in all of the FAA
stuff that said you needed self launch capability, only that it must be
single-engine piston powered.Â* Too bad if you have a jet sustainer!

On 1/9/2019 8:37 PM, Scott Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:54:53 PM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 8:49:48 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Pure gliders are not eligible for the rebate

Are sustainer equipped experimental aircraft eligible?

Thanks -

Lou

Also, I believe the Tn72 is not full 2020 compliant, for that even in an experimental you must use the $1900 Tn70, as far as Trig made products.
I wish this whole topic was simpler, or at least as Simple as I am!!

--
Dan, 5J