Old January 10th 19, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 2:35:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:21:20 PM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
You could be correct about the humidity changing the diameter of the dowel. However, a well seasoned and well sealed ash dowel may well not have that problem. Time till tell.

Again, this is a poor man's version of this tool. Easily finding the correct diameter metal or plastic/nylon rod, without machining capability, may be rather difficult.

Maybe I should have called this the "poor CHEAP and EASY man's spar alignment tool"!

My $0.02 (or ZWD 10,000,000,000).

- John OHM Ω

My contrarian view again (sorry John): All Schleicher gliders I have owned and operated assemble extremely well without this "aid". If you have trouble with your glider, it's more likely the mistake is with you rather than the glider. Have someone help you who knows what they are doing. Also, go put the glider together more often, get practice. Watch the Ridge Boys Striedieck, Seymour, Good et. al. assemble their gliders in their grid position at contests every morning in no time at all to understand what I'm saying.
Herb, J7

I'm one of the Schleicher boys that have found that an alignment pint is very helpful on 27's, 28's and 29's and any that have the short rounded nose. Mine is aluminum and about .010 under diameter with a taper about 1-1/4 long and small diameter at end about .200 smaller than the spar hole. I makes small alignment errors a not issue.
UH