Old October 13th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LiFePO4 batteries

I'm still having trouble with the concept of charging a battery with AC
power. I saw no mention of a rectifier... Maybe he flip-flops the wires 60
times per second?

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
On 10/13/2012 1:45 AM, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 22:10 11 October 2012, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04:15 PM UTC-5, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

"His charging system is a piece of lamp cord cut to a length that

delivers
his desired charge current."

Huh? The wire length limits the charge current? I may be dense but you
are going to have to explain this to me a bit more.

How else would you control current other than with an appropriate
length/size of wire? You can if you wish coil it and package it and call
it
a resistor.

Perhaps he is able and willing to stand by the battery and monitor the
process, but I'd rather buy a charger: it could regulate the current,
measure the amp hours delivered, and shut down automatically when the
battery is fully charged or the time has run out.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)nz