Old October 17th 04, 03:50 PM
C J Campbell

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Steelgtr62" wrote in message

Disruptive technologies, on the other hand, are usually simpler and

cheaper
than the sustaining technology, but also offer less capability. They do

not
fit
the sustaining market and, typically, provide lower profit margins. For

this
reason, they are usually shunned by well-managed companies - which are

often
later destroyed by them.

While the start of this thread is obviously a spam, I think that we

are
finally seeing some disruptive technology in the GA field. In particular,
flat-panel displays. These will probably dominate the new aircraft market

in
the next few years and will certainly push down into the retrofit market

as
certification issues are gradually resolved. They are already appearing

in the
homebuilt market.

My personal opinion is that these systems are unlikely to last as

long as
the airframe in which they are installed, but given their relative cost,

ease of
replacement, and the continuous improvement in their capability, we may be

able
to live with that.

The flat panel displays are likely to last much longer than the items they
replace, however. They are solid state, all electric, have few or no moving
parts, etc. Compare that with traditional attitude indicators, heading
indicators, and turn and bank coordinators. All of these generally require
replacement every few hundred hours, along with vacuum pumps, hoses, clamps,
etc.