Old December 1st 03, 12:05 PM
W9MV

Dear Dave:

When you compared the GMA340 and the PMA7000MS, (I'm assuming you had several
of hours of operation with both) I was surprised you didn't mention a
difference between the two units that many consider significant. The GMA340 has
two knobs to provide adjustment for the threshold of all 6 microphones, while
the PMA7000MS doesn't use knobs at all but employees a computer at each
microphone to automatically adjusting the VOX levels at each microphone.

Was it because you fly solo often (which is not uncommon) and setting the
single Pilot's VOX on the GMA340 is no big deal, or that the PMA7000MS
IntelliVox worked well that it wasn't something you thought about?

You mentioned that if the ATC/music volumes aren't set right it can get you in
trouble. That is what we heard from the ACO! (Aircraft Certification Office).
We convinced the engineering examiner that he weren't giving pilots enough
credit and that they would be able to make these adjustments for themselves and
it isn't a safety issue.

Reasons:
1) Karaoke mode was selectable from the front panel
2) Ability to adjust A/C radio in foreground and music in background
3) Pilot has other means to prioritize the radio (ISO mode and Mute)

Had you missed a radio call because you had the Karaoke mode on? If so, can you
describe what the conditions that allowed this to happen? If there is something
we can do to improve our system, you can count on us doing our best to do so.

I appreciate your comments, my questions are not intended as a brash sales
intrusion, but rather a fact finding mission to further our quest for the
altimate audio panel. (pilots have told us that the PMA7000B is it, but we
won't rest on our laurels)

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.