Old March 24th 05, 02:07 PM
Jim Burns

So... after several of us spent several hours each standing on our heads
looking upside down at the interior of the fuel selector / cowl flap control
box, we finally figured out how to get the 40 year old aluminum cowl flap
handle out of the box.... use a hammer (ok a very small hammer).

Once we got it out, we figured out why it was bound up.... the machined
aluminum bushing and the machined aluminum hub simply chaffed together. The
clearance between the two was nearly non-existent and the chaffeing of the
soft aluminum locked the handle up tighter than heck. A little emery cloth
and some scotch-brite smoothed things up nicely. A small dab of moly grease
and everything went back together fine.

We're just glad we didn't have to change the cable.

Jim