Old December 26th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Any new news about the status of Seminole?

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 3:34:42 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 12:58:31 PM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
Martin, funny thing is, you are a Naval Officer first and an aviator second. During my years in the Navy I was qualified to command a nuclear powered aircraft carrier while the Captain was off the bridge. We also learned how to get the carrier from sea to the head of the pier. A harbor pilot moved to along the pier. We also were trained to rendezvous with another ship, pull along side (180 feet apart) and receive stores and jet fuel, and safely move apart. Ship handling is as a complex task as flying an aircraft. That is why Naval Aviators have wings made of gold and the Air Force have wings made of pewter. 😀

Very pompous remarks, wish my brother was alive today to comment on behalf of the USAF. If my memory serves me correct there were 320 plus POW'S from USAF in Vietman, the Navy had 143 POW'S in that same war, I would say that they all had wings of gold.

Bob, I'm sure Rich meant no disrespect by his comments, just some good natured ribbing which goes on between services. For instance the USAF might say:

1. When a ugly hooker needs to attract a John she wears sparkly, flashy stuff. The truly hot ones need not do such things.

2. Duing the Vietnam War there were 5 aces, two pilot and three back seaters. USAF 3, USN 2. Advantage USAF.

3. After the war, 1 USN pilot ace went to Federal Prison for being a scum bag, 1 USAF pilot ace stayed clean. Advantage USAF.

4. The highest scoring ace was USAF, back seater, Chuck DeBellevue. Advantage USAF.

5. The "Drop the Soap" championships were won by the USN evey year during the conflict, the USAF combat aircrews in Thailand came in dead last each year. Advantage USN.

I was but a lowly enlisted man duing this conflict but my (pewter, just like the USAF pilots ) Aircrew Wings were made a permanent award after my 10th mission in a designated combat zone. Sure wish I could have been in college during this period in time, had the grades, had the SATs, didn't have the money. I knew several inmates at the Hanoi Hilton including a couple of my classmates from USAF Survival/Escape and Evasion School.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.