Old May 21st 04, 01:20 AM
Snowbird

(Stimbo) wrote in message . com...
I, of course, know that I can simply FILE IFR from the get-go and just
not activate it until I need it.

Well, let's clarify a bit here what you can and can't readily do.

Suppose you're flying from NJ to FL and you expect to hit poor
weather about VA.

You *can* file an IFR flight plan originating from an airport,
navaid, or intersection in N. Va. Just give an estimated departure
time of approximately when you think you'll get there (+ 1/2 hr).

You *can't* file an IFR flight plan originating from NJ, and expect
to activate it in N. Va. Your flight plan will not be accessible
to controllers in N. Va until it is activated ("departed") by ATC
in NJ.

However NJ to FL is a 9-hour flight
in a Cessna 172 plus 2 stops totalling 10 to 12 hours. I don't
remember how long the IFR plan stays active in the system (3 hours?)

It varies depending upon how busy the area is. It's usually something
like 1/2 hr before to 1 hr after the estimated departure time. It might
be as long as 3 hrs in some places, or even shorter than 1 1/2 hrs if
the system is busy.

I guess this procedure makes me file every time I make a
fuel/potty stop.

Well, not necessarily. You could file all your legs at home, using
the estimated departure times you calculate from your ETEs. Just file
several flight plans.

OTOH, I get a weather briefing every time I make a fuel stop -- the
airports with the best fuel prices don't necessarily have the best
computerized wx. Once you're on the phone talking to FSS, filing
a new flight plan only adds a minute.

Thanks to SNOWBIRD (Sydney) for such great detail and your anecdotes.

You're welcome

My eventual goal is to the Bahamas.

Been there, loved it. Chicken to fly back SE since our child was
born. If you fly over 10k you can typically minimize the time
you're out of glide to a few minutes. We did the "out islands"
(Eleuthera, Harbor Island among others) and flew back from Marsh
Harbor (the busiest non-towered airport I ever encountered -- made
me want to kiss the next 10 ATCS I talked to). AOPA has a pretty
good package on it, and Pilot's Guide was pretty helpful.

Cheers,
Sydney