Old May 20th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Contests the end-all?

I haven't flown in any contests but in the last year have gotten a lot
more interested in them. I think being around other contest pilots
has helped, and I've had a couple other soaring friends start to get
the bug too. I've been flying cross country for a few years now and
am slowly creeping towards the point where my glider can be ready at
any time to go on the road. The cost of entry does not have to be
high thanks to the Sports Class. The ultimate, I think, is to try to
find a 1-26 and fly the 1-26 contest. Low cost of entry and you are
on an even playing field with the other gliders. Not to mention, they
have a lot of fun!

So next summer I'm planning to fly the Cherokee in the Vintage Contest
in Lawrenceville, IL in June. And I'm working on getting something
with a little more performance to take out to Logan for Region 9
North. But I think I'm going to try to become a regular at one of the
local Regional Sports Class contests. I'll probably mainly fly the
Cherokee because its fun. Or maybe I'll start to save my pennies so
after a bunch of years I can buy something that has a chance at the
Regionals. Or maybe just for the hell of it someday I'll enter the
Sports Class Nationals in the Cherokee since I'm pretty sure a
Cherokee has never flown in a Nationals.

The great thing about Soaring is that there is always a way to
challenge yourself and stay interested. First I just wanted to solo,
then was pretty satisfied with giving rides and local soaring. Then
it was cross country. Silver Badge, then Gold Fever. Now Diamonds,
1000K Diplome, Barringer Trophy, etc. etc. And of course I can always
work on respectable performances at contests, and sending students for
checkrides, and vintage restorations in the winter, and getting my
students out cross country, and who knows what else. Like I said, the
opportunities are endless.