Old February 9th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What to ask when looking for a plane...

On 8 Feb 2006 16:23:47 -0800, "Dico" wrote:

I haven't seen the whole thread, so forgive me if this doesn't relate,
but....

I can only speak to importing an aircraft from Canada to the
US. Maybe the info may still be useful....?

In the US, you pay your $53 (or whatever it is) to AOPA for the title
search, and that's the end of that (the title search spans nation wide
in the US).

When I imported my aircraft from Canada back into the US, I learned
(the hard way) that in Canada, I would have to conduct a title search
in each province that I believed the aircraft was based / operated in.

I did so in the (3) provinces the Transport Canada records showed
the aircraft had been registered in. The cost wasn't that big of a
deal... (maybe double, or a little more than what AOPA charges)
but doing business individually with each Canadian province seemed
a bit odd....

You may want to check with AOPA but I believe they will gladly take
your $53 bucks (or whatever it is these days) and conduct a
nation-wide US title search no matter where you are from.

Bela P. Havasreti

I would be importing the plane to Canada... how does title insurance
work in that situation? Or does it?

-dr