Old December 12th 04, 12:18 AM
William W. Plummer

As a segue from off airport landings....how about precision? Can you
consistently touch down at minimum speed with your regular aircraft
within a 50' mark? Can you do it with a short/soft/XW/ Obstacle? Can
you do it with any configuration of flaps and or power?
OK....got an electrical failure that prevents any flaps from coming
down and you are faced with a no flap landing. Should be a piece of
cake but when is the last time you did it with precision? Suppose you
have an engine failure and are headed down into a wooded area with only
a small meadow for any decent landing? The surface is unknown, trees
all the way around, and you're not sure of the exact wind until you are
committed on final. There you have the elements of
short/soft/XW/Obstacle all wrapped up in one and easy to visualize.
Many different scenarios that can be described that are day to day
events at the airport but so few ever challenge their abilities. I
can't remember the last time I saw a spot landing contest or even heard
of one being proposed. Great way to focus on precision landings and
make them fun.
All of my students have been challenged to beat me at spot landings but
so far none have managed...close but no cigar. That only serves to
motivate them to do better and in turn makes them better pilots.
How about your landings?
Fly safe and Merry Christmas to you all
Rocky aka Ol Shy & Bashful Selway Kid

This thread might expand to include "Glassy Water" landings in seaplanes
because it is a very precise approach and landing without looking down.
Also, commercial glider pilots must be able to drop the plane between
two lines 100' appart. (200' for non-commercial). Think about that --
you can land across the runway at a normal airport and without power!