Old May 19th 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Hi... and some questions from a beginner

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 8:34:18 AM UTC+3, Johnny T wrote:
1) Here is the thing... my local club (back on the east coast) uses a 2-33 as their trainer. I am a little uneasy about the transition from the K-21 back to the 2-33. I mean, I do hold some sentimental value with the 2-33, but I kinda want to move on. The club also has a Grob 103 Twin II - however, they no longer use this for training. Hmmm... Advice on this transition would be very helpful.

If you get some good flights and hours in with a K-21 (to the point of soloing in it, for example) then there is no reason to ever go back to the 2-33!

The Twin II and the K-21 are about as close in handling and performance as two different glider models can be. They both sit on the nose wheel with pilots aboard (unlike the original Twin Astir), so both want back stick at the start of the takeoff roll. They're both reluctant to spin. They both have about 35:1 best glide angle. The K-21 has slightly sweeter handling, but there's not much in it.

From 1995 - 2007 my club used two of the original Grob Twin Astirs for basic training, first solos etc, with no problems. The Twin II is even easier to fly (though slightly lower performance). In 2007-2008 we sold the Grobs and bought brand new DG1000's, also for basic training and first solos.