Old February 24th 04, 12:27 AM
Joseph L. Hyde

Willie,

I don't have experience "flying" any of those aircraft. I did visit
serial number 4 sparrowhawk at it's owner's workshop yesterday. I am VERY
impressed with this aircraft. The wings do indeed weigh 42 lbs each. (I
have an LS-3 so light wings really impress me) The cockpit is wider and
roomier than my LS. All reports are that the performance is better than
advertised. This is indeed going to be a revolutionary aircraft. From all
the reports of the 15 meter design in this series, I might just sell the
cars, house and first born to get my hands on a duckhawk. I think that
this aircraft is in a category far beyond the PW5 or Russia. When the
owner gets into the air with this machine it's performance coupled with the
owner's experience will probably leave me in the dust in my 15 meter ship.

Take Care and Fly Safe,

Joe Hyde

"Willie" wrote in message
I have been looking at some of the current crop of lightweight
sailplanes
on the market and wonder if the sparrowhawk is a good value. Does
anyone have any experience flying one? If so how would it compare to a
PW5 or a Russia?

The price of a new Sparrowhawk with trailer and instruments is pretty
high compared to some of other ships available. I am interested in
these ships because I am not a competition pilot, and I don't have a
crew. So, a ship that is easy to rig and retrieve is desirable to me.

I really am looking for some advice from people with experience in
these smaller ships.

I'm not a new pilot, I am returning after a 15 year hiatus from the
sport. I have had a Libelle and a DG 202-17. I appreciate the info in
the last thread but it veered of onto the realm of trailer towing
weight.