Old September 20th 05, 12:31 AM
Eric Greenwell

John Galloway wrote:

It is amazing to me that
instrument manufacturers and pilots opt to use 2 pressure
sensors one of which (the static source) is highly
yaw sensitive

I thought static sources were carefully chosen to be yaw insensitive.
The one on my ASH 26 E seems to be that way - I have to yaw a large
amount to affect the ASI, for example.

and then electronically combine these
poorer sources

These days, the sensors are very good.

to get electronic TE compensation when
a good quality correctly sited TE probe provides the
correct pressure correction at source. So it is better
and faster - always - to use pneumatic TE unless there
is something wrong with the probe or the installation
or the pneumatic tubing.

This was true years ago, but I don't think it is universally true
anymore. I know several pilots with Cambridge 302s, including myself,
that find the electronic TE works just as well as the TE probe.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA